Monday, March 10, 2014

Whetted Appetites? (3/10/14)

So, I saw more silent films on Saturday, March 8, but I also wanted to highlight the preservation of glass slides, which were the “Coming Attractions” of the silent film era. Silent Cinema Presentations, Inc. has a collection of these that they have transferred to film—and some of them are shown as the audience files in and prepares to see the films on offer that day. Some of the slides are, indeed, information about movies of the era that were going to be shown in a particular theater at a particular time. Others, though, are advertisements and, sometimes, admonishments. A few of my favorites are listed below.

From an accompanist’s viewpoint:

“I Humbly Apologize
if my music has seemed careless and not up to standard”; and
“I mean it when I say
It is with pleasure that I play”

Then there are ads for Butterick Style 6804 (dress pattern); Budde’s Grocery, Phone 64; Fairchance Bottling Works; Simon’s Motor Co., Tonasket Washington; Ghilson & Saunders Jewelers; Star Brand Shoes (do an image search on their antique signs sometime); and Bush & Lane Piano Co.(a company that’s still going strong!).

But I think I like the admonishments best:

“Ladies and Gentlemen
Please remove your hats”;
“No Smoking or Spitting Allowed ~ Board of Health”;
“No Dogs allowed in This Theatre”;
“Anyone raising a disturbance
at this theatre will be BOUNCED!”; and (my all-time favorite)
“Please don’t spit on the floor,
Remember the Johnstown flood”

Entertainment before the entertainment, along with previously mentioned slides promoting the newest, most up-to-date movies on their way.

ConcertMeister

4 comments:

  1. Does your shoe have a boy inside? What a funny place for a boy to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Johnstown Flood...in Pennsylvania?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's *always* one step further ... down ... you can go!

      Delete