Sunday, October 19, 2014

Harlem Garden Tour Update

So, I decided to check out the cotton, planted near the Harriet Tubman statue. I actually did some shopping on West 116th Street and then decided to walk up to West 122nd. My West Side geography is a bit sketchy, but I thought I was near where I wanted to be, walking up Adam Clayton Powell Blvd..

On the way, I stopped to look at a community garden that I thought I recognized. Indeed, it was the garden where the Girl Scouts plant sunflowers every year..

An "Auntie," (meant in a very nice way for an elderly black woman) saw me and told me that it was a great community garden. I pointed out the flyer on the fence about this past August's Garden Tour and told her that I was there, for the second year in a row, and that she should check it out next summer. She thanked me for teaching her about her neighborhood!

Anyhoo, I made it up to 122nd Street and saw the cotton plants. Some blossoms were spent, some were still tightly closed, but some were in full bloom! One blossom had fallen to the ground, so I harvested it to take to work to show to others whom I had already told about the tour. Win, win!

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment