Thursday, March 30, 2017

A Really Special ’Meister (3/23/17)

Yes, it was free but no, you probably can’t replicate it. Through the largesse of the doorman at the stage door of the Broadway Theater (a former cast mate of mine), I attended opening night of the revival of Miss Saigon. I have never been to an opening night performance of a Broadway show (excepting the 1989 Circle in the Square production of Sweeney Todd that I was in). While I didn’t dote on the red carpet aspect of the evening, it was fun to watch some of the arrivals from my perch in the mezzanine lobby. And while I didn’t dress to the nines, I did at least add a Christian Dior pre-tied black bow tie to my impeccably pressed Lands’ End broadcloth shirt. I also got a commemorative ticket and ticket holder, and a copy of the souvenir program (one provided on every seat as you entered; it’s the little touches that make a big impression). But enough about me—on with the show!

Great set, great orchestra, great performers. And a house that was definitely out to have a good time. Having never seen the play before, I had a bit of a miscue in the shifts from 1975 to 1978 and back and forth again. But I got the gist of the plot (hello! Madama Butterfly).

My minor quibbles were with the introduction of the GI’s American wife (slightly awkwardly done), and her big scene in Act II which sort of came out of nowhere. My major quibble (and I know I’m fighting a losing battle here) is with the ‘sound design’ of the show. While it’s quite helpful to hear the soft, quiet, intimate moments between characters, it’s disconcerting to hear their belted out passion at the same volume. If you’re going to manipulate the sound, do a better job of it.

All of the performers put on a wonderful show, and it was a truly fun experience to feel the energy of opening night, especially when so many of the cast were making their Broadway debuts. That’s, and to quote from the show, The American Dream. Nothing beats that feeling. Thank you, Mr. Bill!

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment