Thursday, October 11, 2018

Midday Masterpieces (10/3/18)

Max Tan, violin; Chaeyoung Park, piano

Violin Sonata in A Major, K.305 – Mozart
Ciaccona from Partita No. 2 for Solo Violin in D minor – Bach
Sonata No. 2 in A Major – Brahms

As much as I like Midday Masterpieces at WQXR’s Jerome L. Greene performance space, a printed program would be nice. I was able to go to their website, though, and get the performers’ names and the pieces that were played. Hmm, maybe it was good that there wasn’t a printed program.

While listening to the first piece and taking notes, I found myself enjoying it and trying to guess the composer, and how many movements there actually were. I was right with the number of movements (two) but wrong with the composer (I don’t remember who I guessed). You see, sometimes if I see Mozart listed, I’m slightly prejudiced because Mozart is not always one of my favorites.

The first movement was bright, with a quick tempo, and there was totally charming interplay between the violin and the piano. A minor section followed, though it wasn’t ominous sounding at all, and then returned to some of the earlier themes. The second movement was slower and a little more relaxed but the charm was still there. A rather lengthy solo piano variation was next, then a playful duo section, continuing on with a nice mix of variations and tempos that eventually picked up speed and energy, taking us to the ending.

Unaccompanied Bach is always intriguing. The Ciaccona had a slight feeling of sadness but also an underlying sense of hope. Even though there was a bit of repetition, there was also a richness and there were additional techniques that added forward movement. As much as I was enjoying it, my attention did wander just a little—almost like meditation.

The Brahms had a lot going for it. The opening was Romantic from the (relatively subdued) introduction. The main theme arrived, full and with a continuing Romantic sweep of rich phrases and harmonies that were dramatic at times and quite touching at times, as well. The second movement was slower and more tender, with a hint of sweetness, and then became quicker and a bit more playful and dance-like. After a second slower section, a quicker one followed again, this time with pizzicato phrases that led to a really fun ending. The third and final movement had a gently strong opening, then a mysterious section that built up in intensity, leading to a dignified ending.

Maybe I’ll try to do my homework next time and learn the performers’ names and what pieces I can expect to hear before I go to the concert. Or maybe I’ll just be surprised again!

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment