Monday, November 12, 2018

Canstruction NYC (11/12/18)

Composing on the fly, here, so don't expect lots of fancy-schmancy. Canstruction is a cool event happening at Brookfield Place in lower Manhattan through Nov. 15. I went today and enjoyed myself. Here's their website – https://www.sdanyc.org/canstruction/.

The really cool thing about the 30 sculptures made up of food cans is that all of the canned goods are donated after the event to City Harvest, for distribution to food pantries. The event is free, but they do ask for a contribution of good-quality canned food. I donated Goya black beans.

There is public voting as well as voting by a blue-ribbon panel. One of the awards is for Most Cans; that went to WSP USA's Grand CANyon, which was created with a whopping 8,325 cans of food. Think about that. 8,325 cans of food that will be donated. Other entries that I saw had easily more that 1,000 cans each. Now multiply that by 30. And so on, and so on ... if you're old enough to get that reference.

I haven't cast my vote yet, but I'm leaning toward AFK Engineers' Gnome More Hunger (yes, I'm a sucker for nerdy-wordy humor). Others in the running are CAN-un-DRUM and My Kingdom for a CAN. There was also a 'whale' entry that incorporated water bottles at the base. I thought that was truly inspired.

ConcertMeister (in non-concert mode)

No comments:

Post a Comment