Friday, May 11, 2012

Charles Jones—Piano (5/6/12)

Okay, I’ve been at this for a while now. I’m just not hearing fluidity in piano concerts. But I’m not quite sure whether it’s because I expect to hear the engineered sound of a CD (even a “live” recording CD?) or the fact that I’m listening close up in a relatively small house (as in, every flaw, or lack of sound filling the room, is causing questions in my ear/brain?). These are things for me to sort out.

Mr. Jones’ program opened with Piano Sonata No. 23 in f minor, Op. 57 “Appassionata”, Beethoven (1770–1827). First off, it was nice to hear the entire work, as opposed to a lot of radio exposure where you hear only one movement at a time. The Allegro Assai was full of many contrasts; the Andante con moto had a hymn-like chordal opening followed by a series of variations, and the Allegro ma non troppo rounded things out nicely. Still, I wanted more fluidity.

Next was Scherzo in b flat minor, Op. 31, Chopin (1810–1849). This was a strong, straightforward account with (maybe) a few dropped notes and that pesky lack of fluidity.

After intermission, we had Toccata in C Major, Op. 7, Schumann (1810–1856). My notes include–“Energetic, youthful? (because of Op. number), almost as if setting out to prove something.” It had a very sweet ending.

The final work, and all were played from memory, was Gaspard de la Nuit, Ravel (1875–1937). A work in three movements, the first movement, Ondine, was Impressionistic, with repeating rhythmic patterns in the right hand combined with arpeggios and tune notes in the left hand; Le Gibet had a calm opening followed by repeating notes, almost like the tolling of a bell–hypnotic, with hints of a Debussy paraphrase. The third movement, Scarbo, had hints of Latin/Spanish flair and was the closest to a real tune – still, it seemed a bit aimless.

Nice playing, if a bit segmented/disjointed. As I say, I’m not sure if it’s my CD-inspired/inflated expectations, or the room, or the pianists. Time will tell.

Curmudgeon alert! There was a “Thumbelina” three rows in front of me. Maybe she was so enraptured with the concert that she had to text while listening. Somehow, I doubt it. Hello!!! Your blue screen is very annoying! The concert hall is a place to get away from outside disturbances. Please keep your fellow audience members in mind.

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment