Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Very Good Idea

The result, not so much.
The Muse’s Voice; A Celebration of International Women Composers
Gail Archer, organist, presented a very interesting program. Okay, here’s problem number one. Organ usually equals church. This one did. I'm thinking that with a church not being a usual suspect as a concert venue, maybe that contributed to the small size of the audience. The Reger organ, at Holy Trinity on East 88th Street, works very well in the room. The pieces on the program, some of which were composed as commissions by the American Guild of Organists for their annual conventions, were nice pieces, just not ones I’m sure I would want to revisit.
That pretty much sums up the entire experience. I’m glad I went. Of the six female composers on the program, I only recognized the name Joan Tower. I heard some very nice organ playing (for a very small audience).
Problem number two; see very small audience, above. There are two more performances in the series but I don’t feel compelled to hear them.
If I had been blown away, I’d be singing praises. That is not the case here.
ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment