Thursday, January 1, 2015

Wreath Interpretations

Happy 2015, everyone! Who knew that the 'Meister would have such staying power? This is a bridge between 2014 and 2015; I saw this art exhibit on Dec. 30 and it runs through Jan. 7. One caveat – it is only on view Monday through Friday, 9a–5p. That said, this was the 32nd Annual Exhibit. How did I not know this?

On display are 56 interpretations of wreaths, and they vary wildly. I started taking notes with what turned out to be my favorite – "I Know I Left Them Right Here on the Table: Keyleptomania." Yep, a group of three ever-larger circles, all made of metal keys. Brilliant.

Other favorites included a wreath made of items from a Community Garden (and some of you may know how much I enjoy those), "Wise Wreath," made out of Smarties candies and a few wrappers, a bugs & butterflies wreath (I'm not making this up, you know!), one made of acrylic nails, one from umbrella parts, and one made from recycled Christmas cards ("Christmas Past Wishes"). Most interesting, though not my favorite, was the wreath made of a toilet seat and a three-ply toilet tissue bow. See "I'm not making this up, you know" above. Some of them are for sale, and part of the profits benefit NYC Parks' programs.

All in all, an amusing viewing experience that can take as little as 30 minutes or as long as you'd like. For New Yorkers, this is on view at The Arsenal – 64th Street and Fifth Avenue, just inside Central Park.

I look forward to all that 2015 has to offer, and I look forward to sharing it with you.

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment