Friday, April 29, 2016

400! Well, Shakespeare's Death ...

... or birth ... or ... whatever. The Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts is celebrating with an exhibition and special programming. Part of the special programming includes the LPA Cinema Series: BBC Shakespeare. I decided to take some 'me' time and attend a couple of comedies.

On Tues., April 5, I saw "As You Like It" from 1963, with a breakout performance (per many critics) by Vanessa Redgrave. She was wonderful, as was the entire production. It was adapted, I believe, for BBC Television broadcast, so it was most likely Shakespeare Lite. (Yes, I have a Complete Shakespeare here in the apartment – no, I have not read it cover to cover and certainly have not memorized it all.) Suffice it to say that this comedy hit many of the high points, in a nicely conceived teleplay.

I skipped "King Lear" with Ian Holm, though now I think I might have enjoyed the experience. Anyway, on April 26, I saw "Taming of the Shrew," part of a Shakespeare Retold series. Starring Shirley Henderson (a feisty, sprightly actress in this role), it was a delightful 2005 comedy. You know what? It's nice to laugh out loud in a movie screening, even if you miss a bit of the dialogue that follows. And here, you could actually hear others laughing—and you had a feeling of community.

Yes, this is the same place I see/hear silent comedies with piano accompaniment. It's nice seeing/hearing talkies, too. I imagine that both the 1963 "As You Like It" and the 2005 "Taming of the Shrew" are available online? streaming? Netflix? public library (gasp!)? I say, take a look if it sounds like they interest you.

And Happy Deathday (yikes!), Will!

No comments:

Post a Comment