Monday, March 26, 2018

NoncertMeister (3/24/18)

What I'd hoped to see/hear:

Lenny @ 100
Millennium Chamber Orchestra presented by Alexander A. Wu
Highlights from West Side Story, Candide, plus chamber works and humorous art songs

Alas, it was not to be due to horrific traffic snafus because of the March for Our Lives, which I fully supported. I needed to get from East 89th Street and Second Avenue to West 65th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. Being the savvy New Yorker that I am, I knew that going from west to east on 67th Street would be a no-go, due to the rally gathering at West 72nd and Central Park West (at 10am, but I knew it would still be a mess at 1pm). So I took an 86th Street crosstown bus. Bzzzt!

Nope. That bus was going to detour up Madison Avenue to 110th Street, cross to the West Side and then go down to 79th Street on Columbus Avenue. Ha! I'd outsmart them. I got off at 96th Street to take a crosstown bus there. Nuh-uh. The first two buses to come across 96th Street were the dreaded 'NOT IN SERVICE'. Followed by an equally dreaded 'NEXT BUS PLEASE'. So, hoof it it was. I walked through Central Park to take the subway down Central Park West (and no crosstown bus passed me along the way). Bzzzt!

At CPW, the subways were not running downtown. I needed to go uptown on the subway to 125th Street and then take a downtown subway. But guess what? When I did, the downtown subways were not making local stops! Yep, I had to take the subway down to 59th Street and then walk up to 65th Street. When I got to the the venue at concert time, 2:30pm, a full 90+ minutes after leaving my apartment, the auditorium was full, the doors were closed, and there was already a waiting line of people hoping to get a seat if patrons left early. So I went shopping!

I hate shopping, but I do know how to get from the venue to a place on 116th Street where I can usually get some bargains. Sure, it involves taking the #1 train uptown one stop and then changing to the #2 or #3 train at 72nd Street. I get to 72nd and, lo and behold, the #3 train is not running for the entire weekend and the #2 train ends at 96th Street. Muttering like a homeless street person, I get on a FREE SHUTTLE bus that finally takes me to 116th Street. I go to the store and ... they don't have what I went there for.

I finally just went home and transformed myself from NoncertMeister into BeerMeister. But I only had four or five. Really!

NoncertMeiser (hic! BeerMeister)

No comments:

Post a Comment