Thursday, October 18, 2018

Classical Interludes with The Knights (10/7/18) (Sort of)

Colin Jacobsen, violin; Christina Courtin, violin; Margaret Dyer, viola; Andrea Lee, cello; Agnes Marchione, clarinet

Fantasias for Strings – No. 4, No. 5, No. 6 – Henry Purcell
Quartet No. 2, Op. 13 – I. Adagio – Allegro vivace; II. Adagio non lento; III. Intermezzo. Alegretto con moto – Allegro di molto; IV. Presto – Adagio non lento – Felix Mendelssohn
Clarinet Quintet in A major, K. 581 – I. Allegro; II. Larghetto; III. Menuetto; IV. Allegretto con variazioni – W. A. Mozart
Selected Songs – Bouquet; Can’t Talk Me Out of Loving You – Christina Courtin

Well, I went to the Brooklyn Library thinking I would see a chamber orchestra, The Knights, and got a string quartet, instead. Not a huge problem, just a slight annoyance. The string quartet played very well, and they are all members of the chamber orchestra. The lighting was such that I was unable to take notes.

The three Purcell Fantasias were fairly similar to each other. Pleasant and a little bit basic. (Purcell’s dates are 1659–1695, while Mozart’s are 1756–1791, and Mendelssohn’s are 1809–1847; musical ideas, expressions, and techniques grew and evolved over the centuries.)

As a contrast, the Mendelssohn was more advanced and a little more complex. I found it quite enjoyable. The Mozart, I am sorry to say, I found a lot less enjoyable. The clarinetist did a fine job, as did the quartet, but I was sorry to hear them take every repeat of sections that had repeats. Diddle-diddle-dum with a neat finish to the phrase sounds just as diddle-diddle-dum-y the second time around. And with the fact that the last movement was a set of variations, the repeats were only more and more predictable. But I’m sure some of you aren’t too surprised at my reaction, right?

Ms. Courtin is a fine violinist. I did not particularly enjoy her compositions or vocal stylings though a lot of the audience did. I like the Dweck Auditorium at the Brooklyn Library, its space and comfort, so I see myself returning to this venue again as concerts come up. You win some, you lose some—and certainly not all was lost this time around.

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment