Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Canstruction (11/19/19)

Brookfield Place. This one is definitely Manhattan-centric. Canstruction is an event that focuses on using canned food as an artistic device—thirty-one entries used 107,640 cans of food in various ways to construct edifices of varied ideas. Because 2019 is the 50th anniversary of man landing on the moon, that figured into several entries. Here’s the really cool part. After the event, the sculptures will be dismantled and all 107,640 cans of food will be donated to City Harvest. As another plus, visitors are encouraged to bring a canned food item (I did) to donate, as well. Win-win, in my book. Plus, NY peeps, it runs through Thursday, 11/21. Go and visit, if you can (get it?).

Here are a few sample titles of works: Hunger CAN Gogh; Quacktastick (a canned sculpture of Scrooge McDuck); and For All CANkind (NASA-based).

Some more numbers. The most cans used in a single entry was 7,554. One entry only used 516 cans, but it was very effective. Tomatoes, tuna, and beans were tops. Corn, green beans, mackerel, and tomato sauce were also represented in great numbers. For the record, my donation was a 14.5 oz. can of Hunt’s Fire-Roasted Tomatoes.

The creativity was phenomenal. There was Ursula (Under the Sea), Snoopy (landing on the moon), a Big Apple (duh!), Venice’s Grand CANal … you get my drift? This is at least the second (maybe third/fourth?) time I’ve made the trek to lower Manhattan to experience this event. It is well worth it.

Did I spend a lot of time counting cans? No. Did I have a good experience, knowing that I am supporting the war against hunger (which should NOT have to be waged)? Resoundingly, yes.

I’m pretty sure this will be in my rep for many, many more years to come.

p.s. I took photos with the tablet. Note to self: Figure out the best way to take photos with the tablet!

ConcertMeister (CANcertMeister)

1 comment:

  1. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. mold removal in attics

    ReplyDelete