Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Wreath Interpretations

Dec. 5, 2019–Jan. 2, 2020 (M–F, 9:00a–5:00p, Free)
The Arsenal Gallery
830 Fifth Avenue (64th Street), Third Floor

Forty wreaths (and interpretations of wreaths did, indeed, go on). The postcard I picked up featured the wreath made of pages from a chess book, crepe paper, and a cardboard box. One wreath used recovered stuff (water balloons) from a park in Queens. Another used recycled spoons, arranged in a pleasing circle.

Some had no hole in the center (a no-no according to BabyBro, but see ^^^ Interpretations, above ^^^—sorry, BabyBro!). One that referenced a New York Mets rookie phenom caught my attention right away. I actually have a ‘Polar Bear’ commemorative T-shirt. How cool (get it?) is that?

I was also liking a sunflower-style wreath with a (gasp!) mirror in the middle. I photographed it as a pseudo-selfie. Highlighting garbage in city parks, a wreath featured pieces of water balloons salvaged from a park in Queens. Kudos to the kids who thought that one up.

The creativity on display was phenomenal. If I’m remembering correctly, this is the 38th annual version. I know I’ve visited at least once before. I’m pretty sure I’ll be back. And thanks to NY1 for doing a brief piece about this that rekindled my interest. Yeah, I’m liking NYC.

Next, Songbooks and Making Music New York.

ConcertMeister (Not this time around.)

No comments:

Post a Comment