Friday, July 9, 2021

Naumburg Orchestral Concerts (7/6/21)

A Far Cry

Edvard Grieg (1843–1907)
Holberg Suite Op. 40 (1884)
Praeludium; Sarabande; Gavotte; Air; Rigaudon
Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges (I’m not making this up, you know) (1745–1799)
Sinfonia Concertante, Op. 13, No. 1 in E-flat major (1778)
Allegro, Rondeau …

As I was going to the concert site, the wind was whipping. As I left my second bus, the rain was massive. Being the Pollyanna that I am, I said, “This too shall pass.” For a while, it did. The first four (of five) movements of the Grieg were played in drizzle. The first was brisk and energetic, with a very sweet tune in the violin—cheerful and almost muscular at times. The second was calmer … I stopped writing … can’t write while holding an umbrella. The Gavotte was fun. The Air was plaintive but enjoyable. The Rigaudon … was not played.

Weather dictated a break (and the rain never really stopped).
After the weather break, they played the Rigaudon, which was energetic and fun. I packed it in after that. Too wet and dismal for me. I heard portions of the Sinfonia as I left Central Park.

I heard later, on WQXR, that the entire concert was performed, and die-hard fans stayed until the end.

It was raining (with lightning) when I left the concert. It was raining when I got on my first, of two, buses home. It was raining when I got on my second, of two, buses home. It was raining when I got home. I think I made the right choice.

p.s. A Far Cry is a great Boston-based group that I have heard before and commented on before. I urge you to Google/Yahoo! them.
ConcertMeister
(Or should I say WetMeister?)

1 comment:

  1. That was a very nice write-up. There is a hospital group here that uses a bit of Holberg for their music on-hold. A class act!

    ReplyDelete