Tuesday, December 13, 2022

The Orchestra Now (12/11/22)

Schumann, Strauss & Sibelius

Good news, bad news. The concert was still free, and it was played very well. Alas, their usual cheat sheet (dates of composers, date of composition, premiere date, running time of each work, etc.) was not to be had. 

Schumann – Overture to Genoveva
Strauss (Richard) – Four Symphonic Interludes from Intermezzo
Sibelius – Symphony No. 2
 

From the program notes (written by orchestra members), Schumann’s opera is not often performed. The overture, though, is in the symphonic repertoire as a concert-opener, which is how it was used here. It opened quietly and then slowly built in dynamics and power. It was pleasant to listen to but I was not overwhelmed. 

Because I had to do more digging than I usually do for the most part for these concerts, I learned that the opera Intermezzo is performed. Rarely. In fact, I don’t think it’s ever been performed at NYC’s Metropolitan Opera. The four Interludes are, however, regularly excerpted. The first three were relatively subdued, with quiet endings. The fourth had a little more oomph. The second (or third—or both) featured piano and harp, and the conductor had those players stand for a solo bow during the applause for the work. 

The Sibelius symphony was in four movements. I only know this because I read the program notes. It was not listed anywhere else in the program, which I would have expected. The first movement had a three-note motif that was fairly easy to follow in its repetitions and permutations. The second was calmer and quieter. The third, referred to as a Scherzo in the program notes, was indeed lively and fun to listen to. The fourth, Finale, had a grand, sweeping theme that was repeated several times, lifting us, indeed, to a lovely finale. 

As I said, the music (conducted by Zachary Schwartzman) was great to listen to. I just wish I had a little more basic information at my fingertips. Then again, maybe they really wanted to have me focus on the music. At any rate, I enjoyed the concert, and I look forward to The Orchestra Now’s return to Symphony Space in the spring.

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment