Sunday, October 1, 2023

It’s Not Always a Concert (10/1/23)

A first for me, I went to the Broadway Flea Market, an event that supports Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. I go way back with that organization—my Teeny Todd production at Circle in the Square (1989) produced mini-meat pie pins and magnets that we sold for BC/EFA’s benefit. I also performed in the inaugural Gypsy of the Year competition (as Mrs. Lovett/Sweeney Todd) to raise funds for BC/EFA. But enough about me.

The Flea Market (44th St. and 45th St. between 7th Ave. and 8th Ave.) had a lot to offer. Alas, not much of which appealed to me. There were signed Playbills galore. There were pins. There were wristbands. There were plastic cups. There were beer steins (I was tempted). There were signed window cards/posters. You know what? I don’t need to bring more stuff into my apartment. That said, the display of available articles was quite impressive. One that caught my eye was a signed The Cottage poster, signed by the author of the play. She was there! I did not buy it but I did tell her that I had treated myself to seeing the production on my August birthday and that I had laughed out loud. She seemed pleased. Probably not as pleased as if I had bought the poster (see stuff, above).

I did, however, spend money there. The TDF Pik-aTkt booth offered chances to win a pair of tickets to various Broadway shows. I bought five chances. I won nothing. C’est la vie (shut up, you sillies!).

Here was the best part, though. Via FB, I knew that a former cast mate (1992, touring production of Brigadoon) would be there. I didn’t know exactly where, but I found him! We shared a nice few moments before I fled the very crowded venue. Just too crowded for me.

I really hope that BC/EFA raised tons of money. They do such good work.

This is probably a one-and-done for me. But Im glad I had the experience.

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment