Thursday, July 18, 2024

A Far Cry (7/9/24)

Kareem Roustom (b. 1971) – Dabke (2014)
Kinan Azmeh (b. 1976) – Ibn Arabi Postlude (2005)
Dinuk Wijeratne (b. 1978) – Clarinet Concerto (2018) (co-commission by Rockport Music)
Part I – ‘Prologue: Foretelling’; Part II – ‘The Dance of Ancestral Ties’; Part III – ‘Flux’; Part IV – ‘Exile: The salt and bread of rhythm’; Part V – ‘Cadenza: Solitary Traveler’; Part VI – ‘Epilogue: Home in Motion’

Leoš Janáček (1854–1928)  – Idyll (1878)
I. Andante; II. Allegro; III. Moderato; IV. Allegro; V. Adagio; VI. Scherzo; VII. Moderato

The Roustom had an odd beginning that included stamping of feet, pizzicato strings (plucked) that then added bowing. The piece was all strings (violins, violas, cellos, and basses), rhythmic (but not in your face), and had hints of intrigue. It had a nice, punchy ending.

The Azmeh added clarinet and piano to the strings. The opening was solo piano playing calm chords. Melody was added, in a jazzy way that was almost New Age–ish. I think an electronic track was added, but I’m not quite certain. Clarinet and string bass were then added into the mix. Violins, cellos, and violas finally joined in, but they really didn’t improve the piece much, as far as I was concerned. It wasn’t bad—they played it beautifully—but it was long. And ended with a whimper.

The Wijeratne began with piano and strings, with an offstage clarinet. It seemed to be through composed, but wasn’t. That said, I couldn’t decipher the separate movements. And it sort of led me nowhere. But I did see fireflies again.

The Janacek was strings only. The first movement had a gentle opening, but with depth; a nice Neo-Romantic feel. The second was, indeed, dance-like without being excessive. The third was somber but not dismal, while the fourth was bold and almost lively. Strong and secure. The fifth was gentle and calm, but moving, then livelier without being overbearing. The sixth was bright, cheerful, and actually playful. The seventh was solid. Grounded. A lovely, full ending. This was the piece that I enjoyed the most, in an evening that also exposed me to three composers who were new to me.

I’m looking forward to the next three Naumburg Orchestral Concerts. Fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.

ConcertMeister


No comments:

Post a Comment