Friday, September 20, 2024

Across a Crowded Room (9/14/24)

Final Presentations of New Musicals

This is a great program that I have experienced in the past. Here's the drill. Composers, lyricists, and book writers are pretty much thrown together (across a crowded room, get it?) to write a twenty-minute musical. Sometimes that is the goal, but sometimes it's something that may be expanded in the future.

This season's results provided nine mini-musicals. An added caveat was that the musicals should be inspired by/from the archives of the Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center (they produce the program for the writers and the results, and that is where I saw the nine mini-musicals).

The small scale (twenty minutes) pretty much guarantees small casts, and this was the case here. I'll list the shows (and sources) and then highlight favorites. "Red" (The Red Shoes); "Call Waiting" (a Dorothy Parker monologue); "Volpe!" (an illustration of an 18th-century box); "ON THE J-TRAIN" (a photo of a 1920s subway car); "On A Train" (a photo of a 1950s Long Island commuter train); "The Amazons of Overcote High" (based on "The Amazons" by Arthur W. Pinero); "The Cryptogram" (based on commentary about a séance); "Equinox Of The Earth" (I stopped trying by then); and "My Better Alien" (see stopped trying, above).

Obviously, I'm not going to dissect every musical. Three had pre-recorded scores (not my favorite) and I have no idea how they synchronized them (yes, I'm that Luddite). "Call Waiting" had a very nice score; "On A Train" was very melodic and lots of fun, and probably the most fully realized as a mini-musical—lightly and amusingly choreographed; "Amazons" had the largest cast (seven) but most of them were high school teens, so there was not a lot of variety in characterizations or line readings; "The Cryptogram" had an electronic score that was not my favorite (but maybe that was planned? a new way of looking at a score from an older time and a dramatic subject?); "Equinox Of The Earth" had a dynamite modern Gospel score that included four top-notch female vocalists and a cappella singing—you had me right there; and "My Better Alien" was the funniest of the musicals, though the pre-recorded generic rock piano score did not make my favorites list.

This is a program I will keep my eye on in the future. Fledgling composers, lyricists, and librettists spreading their wings? Thank you very much.  

ConcertMeister


No comments:

Post a Comment