David Shohl 13 Preludes and Fugues, dedicated to David Del Tredici World Premiere Marc Peloquin, piano
This was my first visit to the new Bargemusic, which is no longer on a barge. As a result, finding the new venue took longer than expected, so I got into the concert just as it was beginning. Seating was difficult but I did manage to get one. I did not get a copy of the printed program and I can't find a breakdown of the thirteen movements on line. I did take a peek at a neighbor's program, and as far as I could tell, the titles didn't seem to match up with what I was hearing. The music was very modern, quite angular, jangling at times, with lots of driving, chordal rhythms. Most of the movements were relatively short. I liked some of the softer ones better than the bombastics. One movement was similar to an impressionistic color wash, just with more of the driving rhythms. And it was difficult to tell when each movement ended.
There were some pretty sounds, but they were few and far between; the incessant rhythms were much more prominent. It was definitely not my cup of tea. Still, I'm glad I went. Oh, the composer was in the audience for the world premiere, which is always fun.
ConcertMeister
No comments:
Post a Comment