Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Quite Enough with Calvin Trillin

Okay, this was not technically a concert. It was a talk at a book signing at a venue I'd never been to before – the Tenement Museum. The entire endeavor looks quite interesting and Mr. Trillin was a very engaging speaker. He writes, in addition to books, columns and poems for The Nation.

Hmmm, poems – set to music – equals songs. So while there was no instrumental music, there was the music of poetry and the music of language. I'm including it in ConcertMeister. Besides, it's not every evening you get to hear a published poet rhyme regalia with genitalia when speaking of a political candidate! And don't get him started on tranquilizer darts for hummingbirds and slapping their little cheeks to revive them.

I did not purchase a book or get an autograph, but I got one heck of a learning expeience and lots of laughs. That's an A+ in my book.

CM

p.s. This was a freebie. Fortunately I got there early, as the venue was fairly small. Though anyone who really knows me knows that I'll be early, rather than late.

No comments:

Post a Comment