Friday, June 26, 2020

Great Performances – Gloria: A Life (6/26/20)

When I first saw this Great Performances listing, I almost blew it off. Gloria Estefan? Nah. Gloria Vanderbilt? Maybe. But really, what's in a name?
Oh! Gloria Steinem.

I'm glad I watched. I learned a lot. Christine Lahti starred in an all-female cast. Most of the production staff were female, as well. The presentation was expertly done. The theater production (and thus, this recording) was from 2019, so it was very relevant and up to date if a little heavy handed, politically—not that there's anything wrong with that.

I enjoyed the performances. Act II, the 'talking circle' after the theatrical performance, was also a little heavy handed. But that's to be expected. When the subject is inequality, the solution is obvious. No more inequality. Sometimes heavy handedness is the only way to make that point.

Kudos to PBS and Great Performances. (Off my soap box now.)

ConcertMeister (TV style)

No comments:

Post a Comment