Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Broadway Backwards (3/13/23) 

OK, here’s the deal. This was neither free nor low-cost. My ticket price benefited both Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS and The Center (LGBT Community Center), so I’m glad to have spent the bucks that I did. 

What is Broadway Backwards? It’s numbers from Broadway musicals with reversed genders. 

For instance, Mein Herr, from Cabaret, was sung and danced by Corbin Bleu and a male ensemble. Maria, from West Side Story, was sung by Bonnie Millegan. So, you get my drift? 

By far, the production numbers were hits, in my opinion. Mein Herr (Cabaret), All ’Er Nothin’ (Oklahoma, A.J. Shively/Kyle Scatliffe), and The Right Girl (Follies, performed by Dormeshia). The latter had tap choreography by Susan Stroman (who I’ve worked with!) re-created by Tony Yazbeck, who she set it on). A night to remember. 

I’ve seen YouTube clips of Robbie Fairchild from previous iterations of Broadway Backwards, and he was onstage here, as well. He did not disappoint. My Heart Belongs to Daddy (Leave It to Me) with an ensemble backing him up was a real highlight. 

Both anthems, ending Act One and Act Two, were very effective. One Day More (Act One, from Les Misérables) and Love Who You Love (Act Two, from A Man of No Importance) both hit the spot. 

A spoken tribute from F. Murray Abraham was also a highlight. While I loved seeing Len Cariou performing Something Wonderful (King and I), I wish I’d heard him earlier in his career, though his acting chops were on full display. 

I also heard/saw Anthony Rapp, Beth Leavel, Paulo Szot, Ali Stroker, and Lea Salonga. 

Oh, and the evening raised $750,000+ for the two beneficiaries. I’m very glad I went.

ConcertMeister

No comments:

Post a Comment